Depending on your previous experience elsewhere and expectations from this rather shabby oasis of nightlife, you may be surprised or disappointed. Being one of the greatest tourist attractions, Kings Cross is also the sleaziest Sydney suburb. Although some nightclubs and restaurants may be tame, you will mostly find here really seedy places of adult entertainment, especially on the main street (Darlinghurst Rd). Compared to other Sydney communities, there is much larger proportion of drunks, drug dealers and women of the most anciemt occupation here. Besides, it is a very small place, where virtually all action is concentrated on one small strip of Darlinghurst Rd between Bayswater Rd and Barncleuth Sq.
If the main purpose of your visit to Kings Cross is adult entertainment, you may find it the right place. You don’t need to look far: as you walk out from the Kings Cross train station, striptease, adult cabaret and other entertainment places will literally come to your eyes. Ready for a big time? Well… if you are seasoned traveller and had visited similar suburbs in Europe or USA, you may be dissatisfied with what Kings Cross has to offer, finding the places (including the staff!) looking rather cheepish and worn out.
At almost every adult place the bouncers at the doors will try hard to get you in while you are passing by, playing the place up. Be wise and don’t easily fall for the words. Two places both doing striptease and private shows may be way too different from each other – one may be much more hardcore than the other. It would probably be not very appropriate to get to a realy dirty place if you are seeking only light entertainment or you are already with a lady.
- It could be hard to find parking here. Using train may be a more convenient alternative, as the train station exit leads straight into trouble … oops, action :)
- You will feel better if you take a friend with you;
- Negotiate your deal. You can usually negotiate with the bouncers more than a half off the entry price;
- Don’t trust the bouncers too much – they are no volunteers, and they want you in;
- Watch and count your money, especially at the time of making payment;
- Ask and know what you are paying for (what is included in the admission);
- Shop around – don’t go for the first available option;
Be aware that many places at King Cross will try to cheat on you (for example, Porky’s has been known for doing this). This may include:
- Intentionally miscounting your money and then trying to get more from you; and
- Not providing services you have agreed on (you know what we mean, don’t you).
Have your say
Don’t agree with this comment? – write your own! as others have done, to be put on this page.